Sunday, May 17, 2009

Running with Angels







Yesterday Tom, my brother Andrew, and I ran in a 5k race benefiting a program called "Angel Watch" which is a group of wonderful ladies who provide emotional support for families facing the threat of a child born with a life limiting or life threatening illness. Our family was lucky enough to receive support from Angel Watch during my pregnancy with Hannah. I don't know what we would have done without them. Tom and I, along with my brother, who also suffered the loss of a child, signed up to do the race. The turn out was amazing! As we ran through the beautiful gardens at Thanksgiving Point, I was awe struck at the concept of all these people having or knowing someone close to them who has gone through the loss of a baby. Unfortunately, our family has had three in the past three years. I felt so honored to be able to run with our sweet angels: Hannah, Willa, and Sofia. At the beginning of the race they released a flock of doves and as we watched them circle around I felt joy in knowing that so many angels were in our presence. I have to say, since I'm not as much of a runner as I like to be, I was proud to finish the race without walking! Yea me! Tom and I ran together pushing Georgia in the stroller and my brother Andrew, the runner, finished in the top 20. I'm so glad we did it! Great job everyone! Love you Hannah!



3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. The doves made me cry. Love you and your precious family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm teary eyed too. That sounded like a really neat experience, I'm glad you were able to do it (and running the whole way- woohoo!!). We feel so blessed and lucky to have such a sweet and strong family as neighbors and such good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kate-

    This sounded like such a great thing. Andrew loved it. Hopefully it's the start of a new tradition--next year I will definitely be there! I'm so glad that you did this.

    Love,
    Callie

    ReplyDelete