Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gifts for Jesus

I started a small tradition in my family last year called "Gifts for Jesus." During the holiday season we try and look out for any extra good deeds we can do for others. Today, Olivia brought me Georgia's bottle freshly filled with milk and proudly said "Mom, I just did a gift to Jesus!" I had to giggle a little while my heart melted.

Last year I had an awesome experience with this. I had gathered up a few decorations for my daughters grave to decorate for Christmas, and in doing this, I thought I might get a few extra for the graves I've noticed to be bare. When I arrived, there was a lot of snow on the ground and that made it hard to see the graves. I noticed an elderly women, who obviously was in distress. I bravely went up to her and asked if she needed help. She told me that she couldn't find her husband's grave and the snow made it super difficult for her to even walk. She pointed me in the direction of her loved one. With my car scraper in hand, I trudged over to the spot and started hammering the ice, not even knowing if it was the right spot. I desperately wanted to help this women, so I started praying for help. After hitting the ice over and over, it broke! and there it was, his grave. Fighting back tears of gratitude I placed her ornament, along with one I had brought, and was filled with the spirit of service and what I like to call my "gift to Jesus."

So today, go out and be someone's angel, give an unexpected gift, a gift to Jesus this Christmas season. It will mean more to you than any store bought present.

4 comments:

  1. Why did I have to move away from you? Sweetest person in this world. I love you, thank you so much for reminding me of that. I think I will go out and "give Jesus a gift" tonight. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I'm in tears.

    Thanks for sharing those experiences. You're a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so you got really very nice experience. glad to read this. thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete